An allergic drug reaction at age 48 landed Denise Rivkees in a telemetry unit twice, where she became acutely aware of what it was to be a patient instead of a provider. This life changing event began her journey in resolving the type of injury she suffered through nutrition and nerve relaxation. Her experience has been turned into a new type of pharmacy practice that integrates nutrition with traditional care, called Integrated Pharmacy, at Signatura on West Markham. She will be sharing her story and business journey with Kerry and her listeners this Friday.
Rivkees is a graduate of Robinson High Class of 1977 and Hendrix Class of 1981. She is an Arkansas licensed pharmacist with MS in hospital based pharmacy practice and a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, which involves the preparation of raw materials and dosage forms, their disposition in the body, manufacturing, and technology based manufacturing.
Sally Simpson, Rivkee’s business partner will also be on the show discussing their business partnership in regards to a health care specific business.
Simpson attended Hendrix College in 1978 (where she and Rivkees were dorm mates in Couch Hall). After college Simpson and her husband started a home improvement company and then started a rock band. They moved into sound production, and eventually became a concert production company. The band gained notoriety as Mustang Sally and The Blame. The Simpsons then opened their own bar called Mustang Sally Saloon and Sally signed a deal with an indy label in Memphis, where two albums were produced. Life changes brought about the need to stay closer to home, and the Simpsons started a bottled water company with Willie Nelson.
Throughout her career, Sally also used her hobbies to work with children with focusing difficulties. She taught music, golf, and horse riding.
She also supported her business through promotional sales and deals with other bands, including Miller Beer, Mountain Valley Spring Water and Harley Davidson.
Simpson shared the stage with notable acts, including Willie Nelson, Black Oak Arkansas, Artimus Pyle of Skynyrd, Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult, Badfinger, Humble Pie, Confederate Railroad, Emmy Lou Harris, Toby Keith, Jackyl, Tinsley Ellis, Blackfoot, Sevin Dust, Rick Derringer, David Allan Coe, John Michael Montgomery, Aaron Tippin, Gues Who, Lee Ron Parnell, and Screaming Cheetah Wheelies.
Learn more about Simpson and Rivkees’ journey to opening an integrated pharmacy practice and the unique approach to healing through nutirtion and relaxation methods during Friday’s show at 2pm.
- Finding locally grown and botanical products
- What is an Integrative Pharmacist?
- What is the difference between Homeopathy and Naturopathy?
- Genetic Testing and Naturopathic Medicine are Closer Than You Think
- Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy
- Is there a Nutrition Role for Pharmacists?
- The Role of Pharmacists in Patients’ Education on Medication
- Patient Education Centers in Pharmacies
- The Pharmacist as Patient Care Provider
- Pharmacist Communication Shown to Increase Medication Adherence and Reduce Errors
- Consequences of Not Eating Fruits and Vegetables
- High Rates of Autoimmune and Endocrine Disorders
- Think Fungus – Prevention and control of Fungal Infections
- GT’s Kombucha
- 6 Proven Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Good vs. Bad Bacteria
- Using Good Bacteria to Fight Bad Bacteria
- Diabetes Myths