Kerry’s guest this week is Jack Sundell of The Root Cafe
Jack Sundell’s young life experiences led him to open The Root Café in 2011. The Root Café’s intimate atmosphere was inspired by his volunteerism with the Peace Corp and the idea for locally sourced foods was inspired by his work with Heifer Ranch in Perryville, Arkansas.
The Root Café mission statement is “Building Community through Local Food” and according to Sundell “It means everything!” The ideals behind the phrase are strengthening the local food economy by supporting Arkansas farmers and producers, educating consumers about the positive economic and environmental impact of local purchasing and fostering a sense of pride in Little Rock and Arkansas.
The Root Café has been recognized with national awards, a $25,000 grant voted on by viewers of HLN’s “Growing America: A Journey to Success” and a $150,000 grant from Chase’s Mission Main Street Project. The Food Network has also visited The Root Café, with Simon Majumdar helping to judge a “Traditional Pie Bake-off” at the event.
Sundell will talk about the challenges of finding local products and keeping them in steady supply, the challenges of running a restaurant and juggling his family and work life as well as answer listener questions. Jack’s wife Corri is also his business partner and they have 3 children making The Root Cafe a truly family business.
- The Root Cafe – owned by Jack Sundell located at 1500 Main St, Little Rock, AR 72202
- Peace Corps – how to apply for the Peace Corps.
- Heifer International Ranch – The educational ranch in Perryville.
- How to start Farm to Table at your existing restaurant – The Balance.com
- Creating a farm to table menu – Restaurant Business Online
- Arkansas Local Food Network – mission is to foster the local food economy and sustainable development by connecting Arkansas Farmers and Artisans with our membership
- Sustainability Industry Impact by National Restaurant Association – Restaurant.org
- Community and Hyper Local Businesses and Economic Development
- Hydroponic Gardening Information
- Requirements of a Restaurant Facility
- How to Start a Restaurant – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Rain Water Collection to use for Landscaping – University of Arizona
- Simon Majumdar – Food Network Host and Travel Writer
- Using Contests for Sales Promotions
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit at Work for Employees
- UALR Small Business Development Center
- MBA’s Across America
- HLN Growing America – Root Cafe Winner story for Eat Arkansas
- The Root Cafe You Tube Channel to view Growing America
- Think Inside the Box! Shipping Container Ideas for Small Businesses by Shop Keep.com